5 Ways to Avoid Being Scammed by Storm Chasers
During a storm, strong winds and torrential rain can damage your home. If you find yourself in this unfortunate position, be prepared to deal with storm chasers. These are so-called contractors who travel around the country, following the path of a storm. They then prey on unsuspecting homeowners by offering a free inspection, or repair rates that are too good to be true. We want to make sure you avoid being scammed.
These people exploit innocent homeowners by taking their money and leaving behind sub-standard repair work, or in some cases no work done at all. Wrightway Home Improvement gives you five tips on avoiding being scammed by storm chasers.
1. Avoid door-to-door solicitors – Be wary if someone turns up at your home offering a free inspection. Storm chasers often rush to disaster areas and pressure homeowners into letting them in.
2. Verify the contractor’s license – Before hiring any contractor, make sure they are licensed and registered with the government. Don’t let unlicensed contractors to work on your home.
3. Verify the contractor’s insurance – A proper roofing, window, or gutter guard company in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, has the necessary insurance. Uninsured contractors, like storm chasers, will only put you at risk, because you can become liable for workplace accidents.
4. Avoid contractors that require full or substantial payment before work – This is done by storm chasers to scam you out of your money. Once you have paid them, they have no incentive to do good work, or any work at all.
5. Check the company’s history and reputation – Storm chasers tend to be from out-of-state, so check the license plates on worker’s vehicles and their address in the local area. Storm chasers are usually complete unknowns and have done no prior work before in the area. A trustworthy contractor will have a physical building you can locate, a history, and local references.
Before hiring a contractor, make sure to research all of their details. Wrightway Home Improvement urges you to avoid these scammers and let a trusted local company like us handle your repairs. We have been helping our neighbors improve their homes since 1977. We have decades of experience, and a long history of quality work.
We can handle roofing, window replacement, patio doors, and gutters. Our superior product choices and expert installation team mean that you will have a stress-free home improvement experience when you work with us. Give us a call to learn more about our products and services.